CNGL is a collaborative academia-industry research centre dedicated to delivering disruptive innovations in digital intelligent content, and to revolutionising the global content value chain for enterprises, communities and individuals.
Now entering its second funding cycle supported by Science Foundation Ireland, CNGL is building upon five years of academic-industry collaborative research which has successfully advanced the frontiers of machine translation, localisation, multilingual content search, and personalisation, as well as driving standards in content and localisation service integration.
Drawing on CNGL’s globally unique set of world-class expertise in each of the principal scientific areas underlying global intelligent content, CNGL aims to pioneer development of advanced content processing technologies for content creation, multilingual discovery, translation and localisation, personalisation, and multimodal interaction across global markets. These technologies will revolutionise the integration and unification of multilingual, multi-modal and multimedia content and interactions and drive innovation across the global content value chain.
CNGL combines the expertise of our researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin and University of Limerick) with that of our industry partners to produce technologies with translational economic and societal impact.
CNGL by Numbers
- Established in 2007, CNGL has received a total of €43.5m in core funding from Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) and core industry partners
- 400+ peer-reviewed publications
- €14.5M in additional non-core funding generated by CNGL researchers
- 15 EC FP7 projects
- 21 Doctorates awarded
- 39 invention and software disclosures
- 21 protoypes developed
- €1.25M in venture capital raised by CNGL spinouts
- 2,600 volunteer translators working with not-for-profit spinout The Rosetta Foundation
- 1,000+ students participating in CNGL-run All Ireland Linguistics Olympiad (AILO)